Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Things To Come

Movie to move the heart, mind and soul




This film hits close to home. I feel an affinity with the main character, Nathalie Chazeaux. Our lives have many parallels.  


Nathalie is a philosophy professor who suddenly has her life turned upside down when her husband of 25 years announces that he is moving out and in with another woman. He wants a divorce. One of her first reaction was, “I thought you’d love me forever.” I felt the stab in my heart then a wry smile touch my lips. How many of us have believed such similar love professions? I have and perhaps naively believed it. But just like Nathalie, I was more angry with myself for believing it.

Nathalie’s marriage is not the only thing that’s coming undone. Her publisher no longer wants to continue with the sale of her books and her mother’s health is deteriorating. But she seems to stoically face them all. Until that one day when emotions can no longer be contained and she cries in the bus. Then, she sees her husband walking with the younger woman. And she snickers. Can this get any worse?

Even the strongest of women are vulnerable sometimes. They may not normally show their hurt and pain but there are moments where they need a shoulder to cry on, though will obstinately refuse to ask for one. Even so, in the toughest of situations, they would often ask, “Can this get any worse?” Because they want to be always prepared for the worst.

With Fabien, Nathalie is more honest with her thoughts, feelings and perhaps fears. She tells him, “After 40, women are fit for the trash.” He doesn’t think so. She probably doesn’t want to either but subconsciously fears that it is true. Perhaps ‘trash’ is too harsh of a word. Perhaps it may not be so in Nathalie’s frame of mind then. But let’s all be realistic. How many men would give a woman in her 40s a second glance unless he is much older himself? So Nathalie’s observation is not entirely erroneous.

When she meets Fabien again, she announces that she has total freedom. As it should be. While her life is not all back together, she is moving forward. There are things to let go and there are things to look forward to - things to come. At such, it is okay for the movie’s ending to leave things unresolved.

When I first read the synopsis for this movie, I struggled. Should I watch this movie knowing that the main character’s life will draw similarities to mine, worrying whether it would reopen wounds. But my fondness for a well-made movie prevailed. And I am so glad I watched it. “Things to Come” is a beautiful movie of a woman who, rather than crumble in adversity, begins a journey of rediscovery.

Trailer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment